Thursday, May 7, 2009

May 7th, 2009

 

Thursday

 

Daily activities:

            On my fourth day of Senior Project Stephanie and I met Diane around 8:30-8:45. We began our day with another patient who injured her knee 13 years ago, and has been in much pain when going up and down stairs and moving laterally. Diane quickly described what had happened to her and how the pain is coming back. Diane showed how the left side of the quad (looking at the patient) was weaker than the right side. This causes the stronger muscle to pull the Patella tendon to the side, thus causing the pain. Diane gave the patient some new exercises that use both the patient’s own leg weight and other added weights.

            When our first patient left, Stephanie and I were quizzed a little on our findings of the knee. I must say, I did much better than Steph… in my opinion. Diane asked where the certain muscles, ligaments and tendons are located around the knee, and how every works together.

            After our small presentation and quiz, our second patient came in with another knee injury. This patient was a little different from our previous patients. She was not able to extend and straighten her right knee. For this patient Diane allowed Steph and I to work with and show her the exercises. After that Diane did some stretching and stimulation on the patient with a small ball under the knee, making the leg lay above the bed about 4” and put a weight on the knee. With the help of gravity and the weight the patient’s right knee began to straighten. Diane continued the stimulation with the weight for about 15 minutes. When our second patient left, Diane gave Steph and I another joint to study and research. These last two days, and the next week we will be looking at the shoulder joint.

            I look forward to tomorrow, because we have some evaluations on patients that we are allowed to do with Diane that have to do with the knee and the shoulder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment